On Friday, November 1st I started the month out with an incredibly funny, yet shocking performance that I would not recommend to my parents, grandparents or anyone over the age of thirty. Sarah Silverman performed live comedy at Ohio State in the Mershon Auditorium.
The event started with 8th Floor Improv, a student-run comedy group at Ohio State. Their act was focused on spirits vs. humanity and made jokes about a monarchy system. They got the crowd laughing right from the start. Once 8th Floor Improv finished their act, Sarah Silverman got on stage and pulled an audience member up. As nervous as Jim, the audience member was he played along, joking back and forth with Silverman. This was the least raunchy part of the entire performance.
As the act continued, Silverman became more and more comfortable with the audience. Her jokes made the audience squirm in their seats with a sense of discomfort but caused uproar of laughter nonetheless. One man in the audience had such a distinct laugh every time that she specifically pointed it out.
Silverman had several moments during her show where she focused in on a individual in the crowd. About half way through her performance she questioned a girl in the first row who was on her phone, asking if she was checking her twitter feed.
Twitter wasn't the only media outlet that gave Silverman attention. The Lantern posted about her coming to campus, while OUAB used social media sites, such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to encourage students to get their tickets as soon as possible. Silverman had many Ohio State students talking positively after the show, both in person and through social media. I was excited to see that even though Silverman didn't respond to any of my tweets, 8th Floor Improv favorited my tweet about them, giving making the experience even better than before. As explicit as the show was, I would go back to see her again. Next time Silverman has a performance by you, make sure to keep an open mind and go with friends who have a sense of humor. Who knows, maybe you will even get called onto stage.


I have heard many good things about her, as well as 8th Floor Improv. Were the jokes more vulgar than politically related?
ReplyDeleteChristine,
ReplyDeleteAs a member of OUAB, I am so glad that you enjoyed the event! Sarah Silverman is a brilliant comedian. I thought it was appropriate for The Lantern to write a story about her. My twitter was literally blowing up from my friends from Ohio State expressing how funny she was at the event! I am also a big fan of Ohio State's very own, 8th floor improv. I wish I was that talented! One of my favorite parts from the show was when she called the girl out on her phone! I appreciated how much she got the audience involved in general throughout the show. Have you went to any other OUAB events this year? What have you liked and not liked so much? Advice is always welcomed!
I was going to go to this event, but something came up. I love her stand up. I'm glad that you posted this because I know what went on at the event and it doesn't make me feel so bummed for not being able to attend!
ReplyDelete